Saturday, February 27, 2010

Under the wire

So for the first time, this week I came in at around $40 under budget for groceries. I'm still not sure how it happened, except we didn't need of those big budget-busters this week, like diapers (thanks to the Rite Aid P&G deal, we're set on those for awhile) or the husband's fancy local coffee, and I didn't indulge my goat cheese addiction this week. Granted, we have a generous grocery budget, which includes stuff like diapers and other household stuff, and I eat mostly produce and expensive stuff that doesn't have wheat or cow's milk or food coloring in it, so I'm guessing our grocery budget probably looks pretty bloated compared to other frugalistas out there. But one thing I'm trying to learn is that the only person I can really compare my own progress to is... that's right, me. So from the last time I tracked our spending before my coupon lust began, when we spent over $800!!! on groceries, we've made awesome progress. We'll probably never have a $50 a week grocery budget, and that just has to be okay.

I'm also learning not to try and jump in on every great deal out there. There are some good catalina deals this week at Shaws, for example, but I'm restraining myself. If you want to learn all about them, go here. These ladies (and perhaps even a few gents) will amaze you. But there's really nothing we need from these deals this week, or even anything we'll need in the weeks to come, so I'm sitting out. There are some good deals at Shaws this week that I'll partake in, like free Izze's sparkling drinks when you print them here, (these will double, making them free or even giving you overage if you're lucky) and reasonably priced Newman's own pasta sauce when you print these which will also double at Shaws.

But other than that, I'm laying low. I like the feeling of under budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment