Monday, February 22, 2010

Too Legit To Quit~ earning extra $ on the interwebs

Part of my experiment this year with saving money is also trying to find ways to make a little extra cash. I do have a work from home day job that pays pretty well, but I don't get a lot of hours right now. So I've been spending some time sitting around in my mom jeans, scouring the internet for legitimate opportunities to earn a few extra bucks here and there. My research is far from complete, but I wanted to share a few ways things that I've found.

Pinecone Research. This is a survey company-- there are tons of these out there but this is my favorite so far. Why? They only send you surveys that you're already qualified for-- you don't have to answer questions for ten minutes only to find out you don't qualify for the survey. Why else? They pay a flat rate of $3 per survey, and it's in the mail within days. Or if you prefer you can use Paypal and get the $ even quicker. The downsides--they only accept new users at certain times, and I've only received a survey every few weeks.

Youdata. This site pays you to watch brief adds. You fill in as much personal info as you're comfortable with to help them know which adds to send you. They don't bombard you with annoying emails-- you simply go to their site whenever you want to see if you have any ads available. Every Friday they put whatever earnings you've accrued into your paypal account. The downside-- very infrequent adds. I've made about $2 so far with this. Their main target demographic is mommy bloggers in Texas. Cool idea though.

Swagbucks. This is cool and simple. It's a search engine, powered by Google. You just download their search engine and you earn swagbucks, seemingly randomly, from internet searches you do. You can also earn points by shopping online, taking special offers, recycling cell phones or mp3 players, or pimping out your friends to join under your name, as I've so subtly done here. You can redeem points for gift cards or paypal cash. The downside-- none really-- I generally only get one or two Swagbucks from searching each day, but I try and just forget about them until they add up.

MyPoints. Okay, so you can't get cash at this site, but you can get giftcards to Amazon, Target, and more. There are numerous ways to earn points here, from printing coupons (sweet!) to using their search engine (crappy), shopping online and taking surveys or special offers. The easiest (yet slowest) way to earn Mypoints is by clicking on email links they send you. I've been using this for a few months and am a little past being able to redeem for a $25 gift card, but I'm saving up for a $50.

I'm exploring a few other ways, like writing content for ehow (as evidenced by my new link to my articles there) and I'll let you know how that goes.

What ways do you have of bringing in a little extra cash? Has anybody tried mystery shopping? Side jobs? Answering those creepy Craigslist adds in search of lactating women? Tell me all about it.

5 comments:

  1. I've been a Pinecone playah for awhile. While it's a bummer they reduced their payout, I'm still happy to get the moolah and pretend that my voice counts.

    I used to subscribe to www.mysteryguestinc.com, which amounts to reimbursed meals, though I was never able to attend during their survey periods.

    My friend used to shop through Bestmark for free meals at Applebee's.

    Depending on your website hits, some people have good luck with Google Adsense. I haven't received anything from it, but I've profited from the Amazon Affiliates program directly.

    Finally - please remind your blog readers that they should never have to pay for mystery shop "training" or "lists" - those are scams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kari! It's great to hear from you and those are good tips. Yeah, I started with Pinecone after they reduced their pay, so I don't really know any different. Plus there's something I like about $3-- call me crazy!

    And I'll have to check out the Amazon Affiliates thing. I've heard (read) lots about it. Seems pretty decent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i signed up with pinecone research ages ago, and they must have rejected me because i've never gotten a survey from them. NEVER! surveys companies hate single girls. nobody cares what we think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lame about Pinecone! That sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Pinecone ditches on Alaskans, too. I seem to recall Louisa didn't qualify during a signup period. To be fair, I don't think Pinecone is necessarily "judging," but they're only going to have surveys as demographic as their customers (the companies with stuff to sample) ask for.

    ReplyDelete