Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Nuts for Rite Aid


A Walgreens is opening not too far from my house this Thursday, but I'm feeling pretty smitten with Rite Aid. This week they have buy one, get one free Blue Diamond almonds, which I'll use for making almond butter. I combined the b1g1 sale with some Blue Diamond coupons I garnered from trading, and a $3 off $15 that I got via email because I've been participating in Rite Aid's Single Check Rebate program. And here's where things got a little dicey. The cashier offered to enroll me in a program where I could get an additional 20% off my purchase since it was the first Tuesday of the month-- anytime I used this card on the first Tuesday I'd get 20% off. And every other Tuesday I'd get 10% off. How could I have not known about this program before? And how lucky was I to have inadvertantly wandered in to do my Rite Aid bidding on the month's first Tuesday?

Well, when I got home I discovered why I hadn't heard of the program before. Because it's for senior citizens, that's why. Now, I haven't had a decent night's sleep in over a year, but do I look 55? Really? In full disclosure, I happen to know the cashier personally, and let's just say the Blue Diamond almonds were not the only nuts in the store. I suspect she was trying to do me a favor, but at what cost? Should I wheel back in on the first Tuesday of next month in my motorized cart and try and purchase some discounted Benevia (why are there always so many Rite Aid Video Value coupons for those?), and some denture cream? Sheesh.

So I now feel less than stellar about this deal, but still-- just over $10 for four packages of almonds, 1 Burts Bees lip balm that I grabbed as a filler, and a pack of City of Portland trash bags... which themselves are usually $7.50. It's hard not to feel a little satisfied.

2 comments:

  1. I bet you will love your new Walgreens! I shop at CVS, RiteAid and Walgreens each week in the Brunswick, Maine, area and I often have my best weeks at Walgreens. This week (so far) I have gotten 4 FREE bottles of Purex, amongst other great deals. And unlike the other two stores, you can visit numerous times for the same deals and there is no info to enter online, or a store card that tracks what you previously bought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I will definitely be checking it out. Those are some great deals you got. Thanks for swinging by here.

    ReplyDelete