Saturday, May 22, 2010

Amazing Yard Sale Score




I'm not much of a yard sale gal-- mostly because clutter seems to magically spring up around me like dirt around Pigpen. But this morning the hubster mentioned that the daycare across from us was having a big yard sale, and we mosied on over to check it out.

You know how sometimes when you go shopping and have an idea of what you're looking for, it's an utter failure. Tears in the dressing room, hours of frustrated wandering. And other times, things feel so serendipitous that it's like the Goddess of Shopping is waving her magic wand (or credit card?) down upon ye. Well this was one those magical, serendipitous days.
I'd been wanting to slowly change over the mountain of plastic toys in our living room to more natural toys, like wooden ones. Besides the health and environmental implications of plastic, it just looks crappy. Well, let's just say that at this yard sale I speak of, I got my wood on. Serious Woody. (And a few cool books and a xylophone.)

And to offset the influx of unshiny, faded, potentially cootie-infested toys coming into our home, I brought a few big bags of baby clothes and other toys that the kiddo could care less about over. When I went to pay for my second load of goodies, one of the women that works at the day care told me to just take the stuff because we had brought donations... So, basically, all of this for $2. And we cleared out some clutter.
Oh, and I apologize for the ultracraptacular photos. Someday I will learn to take a decent shot...

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done!

    Fussy worry: do be careful about the older painted wooden toys if Max is a mouthy guy. Lead paint will mess with his chi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the worry Kari! I think the toys are actually okay-- it's the peeling windowsills in our old house that I worry about! Yikes.

    ReplyDelete