Thursday, April 15, 2010

Coupon Guilt


So yesterday at BJ's I had a little coupon related incident. I was going to get frozen blueberries w/a $1.50 off coupon and olive oil with a $4 (sweet!) off coupon. I went to the self-checkout line and per usual the manager had to come over to make the incessant beeping stop. I was pretty sure that she scanned my $4 off coupon a second time, and sure enough when the receipt printed out, it $8 had been taken off of my giant jug o' olive oil. I brought the receipt up to the same manager who'd helped me and told her what happened, and she said "don't worry about it." Even though there wasn't really anything else I could have done at that point, I still felt guilty about it. Okay, and a little psyched too. I admit it.
Any thoughts? Would you have done anything differently?

4 comments:

  1. no guilt! you did the right thing by bringing it to the manager, and you are being rewarded for your goodness. take the money and run. especially olive oil! shit's expensive. question- i've always been a sam's club girl, but they don't take coupons. bjs does? for everything? it might be time for me to become a traitor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brokey, thanks for the feedback. And yes, BJ's, besides having such a salacious name, also embraces a generous coupon policy. They take both manufacturers coupons and BJ's coupon. And rumor has it that when you buy packages that have more than one package cellophaned together, you can use multiple coupons. If that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed: you fulfilled your ethical responsibility by bringing it to the manager's attention. The manager then decided, for whatever reason(s), not to correct the error.

    In her place, I likely would have made the same decision; it's not worth taking up valuable time (yours or hers) and potentially alienating a good customer to regain four bucks, especially when you'd already been inconvenienced by the malfunctioning self-check-out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Elsa. Good to hear your perspective! Take care,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete